Thursday, November 30, 2006

What part of Nō don't you understand?

Well, most of it actually. That's as in Noh drama. We've been doing it this week in pre-modern lit class, and while it has no real relevance to this post, I thought it'd make a good title, largely because I intend to use the witticism therein in my future teaching career when I'm explaining Noh and some hapless undergrad says that they don't get it. I will, as you may surmise from that, be something of a sadist. Bwahahaaa.

Looking through the directory of classes on the CU website to work out what I'm going to take next year, I see that the Philosophy department offers a "Seminar on Vagueness". Taught at, um, some time in the afternoon, maybe toward the beginning of the week, by that guy, you know, what's his name, Bill something or other...

The pound is now apparently at a 14-year high versus the dollar, and basically £1 = $2. Which is great news for all of you spongers who are making plans to come and visit me, and terrible news for me, since now everything I bring back at Xmas will be denominated in USD and so worth about 10% less than it was when I came over here. Oh well - just illustrates the first rule of capital markets - you'll always get screwed. When in Japan, your yen will fall in value, rising as you leave - the same will doubtless be true for my sojourn in the US. As long as I'm still here, you can look for the £ to be worth about $5, some time in 2017...

2 comments:

Rob T said...

It was 220 when I first went to Japan in '98. Of course, soon as I did anything that involved my being paid in yen, it weakened massively. 人生はそういうものだなあ。

Anonymous said...

That "wittisicm"reminds me of all the old Tuck jokes while making me feel glad that continents seperate us...

Though I confess to still using the Reese Witherspoon joke.