Monday, November 20, 2006

One Day

Better get right back in the saddle, I suppose.

Thanksgiving's coming up. You can tell, because places around campus that are normally busy - the libraries, the gym - have thinned out considerably. I suspect a lot of the student body are pulling a fast one and taking the week off. Not that I would blame them - Columbia has a policy of scheduling classes even up to the day before the occasion, which, naturally, is extremely unpopular. This, I think, is somewhat unusual among the Ivies - Yale, for example, gives its students the whole week off. Mind you, considering how much the undergrads are paying for their education ($33,000 per year in tuition alone), one can't help but recall the nameless scholar who remarked that universities are the only places where people pay to attend and then try to get as little value as possible for their money.

I think my flatmate's going back to Chicago for Thanksgiving, but he's almost never here anyway so it's rather hard to tell. He's a great flatmate, to the extent that he pays the rent and doesn't seem to live here. I'm still not entirely convinced he's not a product of my own fevered imagination.

Kate, meanwhile, is having to move to Brooklyn. The rent went up on her place, and not everybody was willing to meet the increase, so unfortunately that means everyone has to go. It cuts both ways, really - it'll be a 45 minute subway ride to get to see her, which is a pain - it's been great that she lives so close by; but then, on the other hand, I'll get to explore a whole new part of the city of New York.

No comments: