Sunday, October 02, 2005

Welcome to the Neighbourhood

Been meaning to do this for ages, but finally got around to posting a few (and I do mean a few) shots of the locale around my place. It's not a bad location as it goes, really, pleasant enough location and so on. I'll put up a few more shots once I have a little time to take them...grad school is keeping me busy as always. No slacking off here like I used to as an undergrad, sadly enough.

Today, I went to the MOMA, Museum Of Modern Art, with a couple of friends from out of town (Philly, actually - Laura's sister Diana and her friend Isbel) and had a wander around, then showed them around the Columbia campus. Was pleased to find that Columbia students get in free to the MOMA, which saved me $12. All I have to do is go another 2,000 times during my stay in New York and I'll have just about got my money's worth.

Weekend was again rather boring, spent the whole of Saturday plowing through more premodern Japanese stuff, mainly ghost stories and the like. Look up Ugetsu Monogatari, "Tales of Moonlight and Rain", if you're interested, worth a casual read and has been rehashed a few times in J-popular culture.

Still getting a kick out of living in New York, there's just so much to do and see here...it really is, as my friend Nina said when I spoke to her on Saturday on the phone, one of the few cities that lives up to the hype.

No comments: