Thursday, October 27, 2005

Burning the Midnight Oil

So my mum's here to visit at the moment - a big thing for her. She's never been to the US before, let alone New York, and while some aspects of the place do seem a little strange to her, she seems to be having a good time of it. I've been out for dinner with her every night since she's been here, sampling Korean, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Moroccan food, all of which are within 3 blocks of my room here. In typical mother style, she's also been buying me towels and pillows and generally sorting out my room...I don't think it really needs it, but it does look better for her intervention, I have to admit.

The downside of the equation is that it increases, de facto, an already pretty heavy workload, so I've had a couple of late nights this week (1:00 a.m. and later). Not that late by many standards, but I'm usually in bed by midnight, so it was something of a shock to the system. Been working on Edo plays (mostly dealing with love suicides...) and on Tayama Katai's Futon, a flawed and somewhat prurient if still interesting work.

I was asked by a friend down in Pennsylvania to take some shots of the CU campus for a project she was doing, so in the absence of anything more interesting I thought I'd share them with you. They're not really that interesting, but I thought they might give an idea of the campus surroundings. The story about Butler Library's lawn is interesting, though I don't know if it's apocryphal or not - apparently, it was used in the opening sequence of Ghostbusters, and in payment they asked for a tiny share of the profits of the movie, something like 0.0001 percent or similar, with the proviso that the money could only be used on the upkeep of the lawn outside the library. The film, as we all know, was wildly successful beyond anyone's imagining, and so Butler now has hundreds of thousands of dollars to be used on the lawn's upkeep...I guess that's why they allow sports teams to practice on it - you gotta give the staff something to do...

No comments: