Sunday, October 16, 2005

More of the same

A dull if somewhat productive weekend, spent mostly at my desk or in the library. I did do some shopping at the JASMart across the road from my apartment - it's a regular Japanese conbini. I swear, the have bentos, all sorts of cooking spices, miso, tonkatsu, everything. You literally could have walked into 7-11 in Shiogama. It's not cheap, but it's a little slice of Japan right on my doorstep. Reminds me of the good times...

Which is not to say that I'm not having a good time here in NYC, but there are some things I do miss about being in Sendai. The money, for one - that goes without saying - but also having much more free time...back as a CIR when I got home at 5.15 that was pretty much it for the day, I could relax and do what I wanted. Here it doesn't really stop; even when I've finished my classes for the day, I still have at least another 3 hours of study ahead of me, usually more - I rarely go to bed before midnight. Admittedly, I'm packing a lot in in trying to get the MA done in one year, so perhaps that distorts things a little.

On a related note, I'm just starting to put together another set of grad school apps - here, Yale, Stanford and SOAS. Without a doubt my first choice is to stay at Columbia, but we'll have to see what happens - fingers crossed. If nothing else I'd have to change the blog title if I ended up in Palo Alto...

No comments: