Wednesday, August 17, 2005

NY on my mind

Understandably, really, as I leave in less than a week. I've been busy sorting out all the things that need to be done before I go stateside - made an appointment to sign my lease agreement, ordered my traveller's cheques, got my documentation in order, and countless other things. It's at once exciting and terrifying - as the wonderfully patronising Coming to Columbia Guide for International Students reminds us, "relocating to a new country in one of the fastest-paced cities in the world is an exciting, but challenging, experience." No kidding. Worryingly, according to the guide, "Even a good command of English does not necessarily prepare you for the new accents and idioms you may encounter here." Whether that's a reflection on me or New York, I'm not sure.

There are a hundred and one things floating through my mind right now - Will I be alright for money? How will I compare to the other people on my course? Am I up to the job? What will my room be like? How will I get on with the other students, and New Yorkers generally? Will my flight take off on time? Should I call the hotel and tell them I'm arriving late on Wednesday evening? How long will it take me to find a job?

I know I should be almost salivating at the prospect of living in one of the world's greatest cities, but right now all I seem to be doing is worrying. I think things will become a lot clearer once I actually get there...right now it's all just speculative. But I've done as much preparation as I can, and I guess I have to trust in that.

In the meantime, I'm off to London again tomorrow evening, for dinner and a show (Stomp, I think) with Sarah, and am meeting Sandie, late of Miyagi and Tom Nisbet fame, for dinner in Cambridge on Friday. Added to the main event on Saturday, it looks like I am going to be quite the man about town again these coming few days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh...
do say hello for me.

as for new york, I as well, fear what will happen to your accent.

Anonymous said...

Hey dude,

Hope NY all goes well, your successer is a lot cuter than you. I also suspect she may be a better goalie than you...

I hope you had fun with Sandie, I also hope there wasn't any innapropriate touching etc.

Rob T said...

Neither of those are particularly hard, Tom. And Sandie, well, she was naturally as charming and effervescent as ever she was.