Monday, August 08, 2005

My place in the sun

A wonderful weekend, the sun shining all the way through it, or at least as close to as we seem to be permitted in this country. I'm even verging on a tan.

Spent most of Saturday wondering around Cambridge and sitting down by the river with Sarah. It was a genuine pleasure to see her again - in the last couple of years I had forgotten how well we get on and how much we have in common. We reminisced, ate lunch, had coffee, dodged the hordes of Eurotrash that plague the city at this time of year, and talked about all sorts of random stuff. No finer way to spend an afternoon.

Sunday, went down to the Smoke again to have lunch round Matt and Nina's, more old friends from college. I was treated to a magnificent repast, summery weather, pints of good ale in the pub and (sp?) capirinha, the new Brazilian cocktail that's apparently all the rage within the M25. I have missed out on all this stuff, the fashions and the ebb and flow of what's hot and not. But then, on the other hand I've missed stuff like Crazy Frog as well, so it's not all bad.

The Test match finished as being one of the most astonishing games in recent history, certainly the match of the decade, England winning by a mere two runs. I'm fully aware of the indifference, not to say incomprehension of most of my readers as regards the game of cricket, and all I can say is this - you're a bunch of philistines.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

and your an englishman! I'm not sure which is worse...

^_^

Rob T said...

Indeed. As Gilbert and Sullivan would have it:

For in spite of all temptations
To belong to other nations,
He remains an Englishman,
He remains an Englishman!

If nothing else I'd have to change the blog title.

Anonymous said...

Rob, I can't believe you berated me on saturday for once making you read BJD!! Isn't this your inspiration?
Just a few more relationship traumas and maybe a daily calorie count and i'll be hooked....
xxx