Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Turn and Turn About

I didn't do very much in what remained of the week once I'd done my two interviews down in London - I just sat around and read most of the time, mainly with a view to killing time and not spending any money while doing so. I suppose the car-bombing news spiced things up a bit, and, if I may be excused a little solipsism here, kept my very impressive record of flying across the Atlantic just as terror plots fail in the UK (I flew back to the UK the day of the failed tube bombings in 2005, went back to the US in 2006 at the time of the alleged liquid bomb plot, and now this).

The flight back was one of the smoothest I've had in recent times, and as the plane was half-empty I was able to get a bulkhead seat, which allowed me room to stretch my legs. All in all it would have been one of the more pleasant crossings, were it not for the fact that it took me the best part of two hours to clear Immigration. That was by far the worst experience I've ever had at JFK. I counted around 400 or so people in the line, snaking around seven or eight lines deep, and the Customs and Border Protection people, in their infinite wisdom, had decided to have only one-third of their windows open. As if this wasn't daft enough, one of the plane-load of Jamaicans who made up the group of 400 decided that they couldn't be bothered lugging their bag all the way back and forth as the line zig-zagged along, and would just leave it in the middle and pull it through when she reached that point on the other side of the ropeline. Obviously not familiar with what the words 'Unattended Bag' tend to signify right at the moment. Dumb in the extreme.

Anyway, I'm back now, and I think we're all caught up. Nice to have you up to speed. I'm still jetlagged, though...

No comments: