Monday, August 14, 2006

Smoke and Mirrors

By popular demand...

I've been told I need to update my blog more often. This is an unprecedented phenomenon; very few people indeed have ever told me that I should actually write more. Boringly enough, it's because there's not a whole lot to write about; I am at home most of the time, reading, watching DVDs (mostly The West Wing), and doing a bit of academic work from time to time. Even with the best will in the world, I doubt most of you really care about all the old books on my shelves I'm enjoying once again.

But at other times - namely weekends - I go down to London to meet friends. Saw Karen and Nat last weekend, took a walk by the river and remembered that London is just as amazing a city as New York is. I think perhaps one is apt to forget the qualities of one's own native land when one spends so much time overseas. As one of my professors remarked, London is like New York, only with history. And much, much more expensive - but that's a story for another time.

This past weekend, I reminded myself of an old and venerable English tradition, namely, the Session. Wherein a group of young men gather at a drinking place after work, and proceed to drink more than is really good for them in a turn-based system (known, I believe, as a round). Quaint and curious some may call it - others may prefer to think that it highlights the primitive nature of those who participate in it - but it's still damn good fun, especially when joined by old friends. It also proves that you can take the man out of college; but you can't take college out of the man. Of ten of us, I am the only one who isn't in a well-paid and prestigious job in London. Do we, then, enjoy fine wines and good dining? Do we hell. Eight pints of lager and a kebab on the way home. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

In other news, Al-Qaeda is once again trying to kill me. Or, if that fails, annoy the hell out of me. I'm not so worried about a fiery aerial death over the Atlantic - it'd have the virtue of being quick - as I am about being bored out of my mind in Heathrow, or not being able to have my laptop with me and thereby having it damaged by the heavy-browed baggage handlers at the world's busiest airport. It's 10 days until I fly out, so I have to hope that things settle down by then. Cos if my laptop were to get damaged - well, that'd put an end to the blog for, ooh, at least a week - and what would you do then, my loyal readers?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well paid and prestigious?
Not sure about that!

Gutted I missed out on the kebab - had cheese on toast when I got home - not quite the same.

Good to see you though mate

Pocket

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Personally, I might burst out in tears if you stopped posting.

Rob T said...

What was the "Comment Deleted" thing then? Who was it? Come on, enquiring minds want to know...