Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring is sprung

It's Spring Break, which means I get a week or so without classes. Unfortunately, as I've been tasked to provide a dissertation proposal by the end of the semester, this doesn't really mean that I get much of a break - I still have to be in the library for much of the day. But hell, the weather's warming up, the snow has thawed, and summer is on its way. I'm in a pretty good mood right now.

That might have something to do with not having done any work for the last few days. I decided to goof off a bit and spend some time with Kate. She made good on a long-standing (actually, dating from my birthday last August) promise to take me to see Spamalot, so up we dressed for a night at the theatre.

It's not Tim Curry and David Hyde Pierce - they're long gone - but it's still very, very funny. In large part it's a stage version of the Holy Grail (which, geek that I am, I know almost verbatim), but it does have some very welcome new twists. And some contemporary stuff, too - apparently the Tall Knight of the Knights of Ni is, in fact, the father of Anna Nicole's baby. Makes as much sense as the rest of it, really. Oh, and while we're on the subject, if you really want to geek out...try this for a laugh.

We went to see The Last King of Scotland the following night, which I thought was rather well done. Forest Whitaker's performance was quite excellent (can see why he got the Oscar), though some of the more gruesome scenes apparently made Kate somewhat nauseous. Or it could just have been the result of sitting next to me for two hours - I have that effect on women sometimes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No comment on that! ;-)

Hope you're well - glad you enjoyed Spamalot, my Dad wants to go and see it in the West End, so will let you know how it compares (and whether the Anna-Nicole joke has travelled across!). Not sure if you've seen it, but we went to see Wicked for Joe's birthday which was....absolutely wicked! Go see if you get a chance away from the studies.

Enjoy your Spring Break, el pres

love Sarah x x x

Giscard said...

Thanks for that link. Had a good chuckle. Make the most of the rest of your break. Proposals can wait. Its not like you are going to do that stuff immediately anyway, you only propose to, sometime in the future...

Anonymous said...

Spring is coming here as well, which for Northern England only means the sky is a lighter shade of gray. That, along with the start of the world-cup also means that I have got out and dusted off my cricket kit in time for the new season starting on 21st April so I hope you are thoroughly abusing your holidays by introducing your friends to the game?

Nobby

Anonymous said...

Do we need to go over what Idi Amin was doing with those hooks? Bleh.