Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Poacher turned Gamekeeper

So, yours truly will be helping to interview applicants for JET when the process takes place about two weeks from now. That's the JETs who'll be departing from New York, so no doubt more than a few of them will wonder who the guy sitting across the desk from them with the funny accent is, and what he's doing in the USA in the first place. A slightly different spin on the old Q&A routine, where you answer the question "What do you see yourself doing five years from now?" with a pat "Sitting in your chair".

Unfathomably, this also means that I have some (probably small) measure of influence over who actually gets to go to Japan and who doesn't. I could potentially ruin someone's life in the space of 45 minutes - that's not half bad for an afternoon's work. With such corrupt power to wield, who knows what can be accomplished?

I must ensure that my behaviour remains at all times completely above reproach.*

I suspect I will mainly be called upon to interview prospective CIRs, but I'm not sure. I even get to look at their CVs and applications ahead of time, so I'll have a pretty good idea of who's who before the whole thing kicks off. Dunno, I guess this could be one way in which I might be able to improve the thing a little bit, by weeding out the punks on a lark who should never have been accepted in the first place**, like Messrs. Lange, Cole, Nesbit, Fusco, Freeborough, Mehta, et. al. You know who you are.


* All offers of cash (male applicants) or sexual favours (female (and hot) applicants) duly considered. Contact details to follow.
**though let's be honest, this category includes pretty much anyone who isn't me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that sounds like it could be a bit of fun. Did they approach you or you approach them?

...
In other news, my arrival wasn't a complete waste. Check the guardian, big daikon, debito, mixi, and maybe even the UN Human Rights Commission for the inside scoop on 外人犯罪ファイル. A story which was broken by me ^_^ Not bad for a weeks work if you ask me...

Rob T said...

They were looking for people to do the interviews, and since I'm part of the board of JETAANY I was asked if I wanted to do it.

I saw the Hanzai fairu thing - I've been a subscriber to Debito's list since I met him last year. Unbelievable. Well, Nick, looks like your work there is done.