Tuesday, January 09, 2007

22 short films about New York

Or more accurately a few things about the city. First, the weather here is completely schizophrenic. On Saturday it was a record-breaking 19℃ in the city, feeling more like some time in spring than five days into the year. Winter in this city is not supposed to do that. Still, it's back to normal now, being -1℃ outside right now. Bounces up and down like a yo-yo in this city.

The New York Public Library rocks. The joke runs "I went to the library and asked to join. The librarian said, "You have to prove you're from New York". So I stabbed her." Well, you do have to prove you live in New York - which, happily, I do - but once you're in, it's kind of like a free version of Amazon. You can browse their catalogue and have them deliver the books to your local branch, which in my case is five blocks away, to pick up. Awesome. I will be taking full advantage of this. They even have videos and DVDs as well.

The American Museum of Natural History rocks even harder - I went there on Sunday afternoon with Kate. This is my favourite museum in New York and possibly the world. It's just got the most incredible selection of stuff; real dinosaur skeletons, 34-ton meteorites, real-time displays of where earthquakes are happening all over the world, everything. I love this place. It's probably just as well I never saw it when I was a 6-year-old dinosaur geek or I would probably still be there to this day. Even allowing for my limited financial means, I'm seriously thinking of becoming a member, because I love it and because it's one of the few museums that I can't get into free with my CU card (the Met, MOMA and Guggenheim all allow it). If you're ever here, go.

And lastly, I knew I shouldn't have had that chicken biryani yesterday.

No comments: