Friday, May 12, 2006

Biding one's time

It really is a great feeling to be getting out of here, to be honest, and I'm looking forward to it immensely. Not least because Mr. Whackjob is still here. And I'll be gone before he will.

It seems to boil down to legal matters. His lease (and that of most other people) expires at the end of the month and he will then have to leave anyway. New York housing law does not allow for immediate eviction except in the case of criminal acts, and so were CU to decide to evict him, which they quite easily could, proceedings would take longer than the remaning duration of his stay here anyway. So they've offered other people in the building the opportunity to move to another suite elsewhere in the building if they want. There was some discussion of asking him to leave voluntarily, but they either didn't do that (it's a little iffy legally) or he refused to do so.

An uncharitable way of looking at the situation, of course, is that once again they're doing nothing. It is, as you say, Tori, a shit situation and one which has been, in my view, mishandled by the college administration. Not uncharacteristically - the admin side of things here (in sharp contrast to the academic) has left me deeply unimpressed whenever I've had to deal with them.

So there's unfortunately not a lot I can do now in instances where, for example, I was woken up by him sobbing in the communal kitchen (like at 7:30 this morning). Let's just hope nothing major happens between now and the end of next week.

I can not wait to get out of here.

In other news, I finished a paper and turned it in this morning. One down, one and a half to go. This summer will be a complete change in my living circumstances, and a major one for the better, no doubt.

No comments: