Monday, February 06, 2006

All-American Guy

Well, sort of.

K and I went to watch a Columbia Lions basketball game on Friday night, vs. Harvard. It was, as you might expect, an interesting experience - I know next to nothing about basketball, but the game itself was reasonably interesting. Naturally, Columbia lost - they're fairly inept at most sports, I think - and the cheerleaders weren't even very pretty (though remarkably flexible, I'll give them that). Harvard are usually regarded as being one of the most hopeless teams amongst even the lowered standards of Ivy League sports, so I suppose that gives you some idea of how bad the CU team actually is. Still, entertaining enough...Harvard's point guard was particularly impressive, I thought, but I'll stop trying to sound like I actually know what I'm talking about. Forgot my camera again, though.

Sunday, I would have watched the Superbowl, that most American of sporting events, but unfortunately I couldn't find anyone to watch it with. K was out in Brooklyn and none of my comrades in the Battle of Starr Library could drag themselves away from their books. I don't have a TV, so I ended up missing it. Still, there's always next year, and I suppose I saved on beer and greasy food, though I ended up eating from the highly unimpressive Chinese takeaway from round the corner on 109th and Amsterdam. I don't recommend them.

And one of our aforementioned comrades, formerly known as the Lawyer Jonathan Twombly, is getting married. I'm sure all of us in EALAC join in wishing him all the best, and hope that this finally shuts him up from moaning about how he can never meet any nice girls in New York. Nice one Mr. Twombly.

No comments: