Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Strike one...

So it's the end of term, and nothing seems to be quite working how it should. The printers in Starr aren't working properly, the heating in my apartment building is making some funny noises, and, oh yes, how could I forget the MTA strike? The subway and city buses are down until further notice, making it rather difficult to get around the city. Luckily there's a CU bus available to take me to JFK on Thursday when I go back to the UK; not so luckily, the only one available is at 10 a.m., so I am going to have to kill rather a lot of time in the airport. I guess I'll just bring some work with me...might as well use the time productively.

I wish there was something of interest to report, but there isn't really. I've been spending my entire time in the library (still) getting revision and term papers done. Classical Japanese final was this morning, that's now done and dusted, though I still have the Ogai paper to get finished. I'll manage somehow, I suppose. Damn tired, though, would have liked to have had all of the holiday back in Cambridge to relax and forget about NYC for ten days...not to be, apparently.

Going out to dinner with some of the J-lit people and Prof. Ono, a visiting professor from Gunma who's been here all year and who is leaving at the beginning of the next one. Curry on the menu, at one of the better places in Morningside Heights luckily enough. Pics will be posted here if I can be arsed to take any.

Tomorrow, I'm going to have to get my Xmas shopping done, so I'm going to have to walk about 70 blocks downtown to get to Macy's. If nothing else I suppose it'll be an experience...

No comments: