Sunday, December 04, 2005

The nights are drawing in...

...and it'll soon be Christmas. No sooner has Thanksgiving been packed away for another year than New York shifts up and gear and gets into Xmas mode. They're selling christmas trees on the pavement, the shops put up all their big displays and decorations, and - well - there's just something in the air. Columbia is getting in the spirit, as well, or so it would appear - they've wrapped the trees on College Walk with thousands of fairy lights, so they effect as you walk into and out of college at night is quite magical. I took a couple of photos tonight, but I don't think I had the shutter setting right because they came out all blurry, so I'll try again tomorrow evening. You'll have to make do with the shot below.

Still, it snowed last night, which rather added to the Xmas atmos. Not a huge lot - about two or three inches - but enough to blanket the place and hide most of the ugly stuff. The corollary to all this romanticism, however, is that it's bloody cold - New York's grid system is wonderful for navigation purposes, but it does act as a gigantic wind tunnel, and the gusts that whip down Broadway as I'm on my way to or from Columbia are distinctly uncomfortable.

Not that I am outside much at the moment, though - term paper demands mean I spent almost all of this weekend in one library or other, though I did go for a quick beer yesterday evening with some of the Japanese history guys. Nothing too exciting, though. Seems to be the story of my life right now...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should post an audioblog. would love to hear that accent

Rob T said...

You don't know the half of it, honey. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i know nothing about it. pls post one !