Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Shank's Mare; or 東海道中膝栗毛ニュー・ヨーク編

So there's a strike on, but I still needed to do some Christmas shopping, since I will be jetlagged on the 23rd and really don't fancy braving the shops in London or Cambridge on Christmas Eve. Only one thing to do - walk. And walk I did, from 110th street all the way down to 34th street where Macy's is. Managed to do my shopping and even found a couple of unexpected bonuses on the way for my family, stuff I think they'll like. And of course there's nothing like walking through a city to get a feel for it, rather than spending all one's time navigating through the subway. That said, it was bloody tiring; 150 or so blocks, about five miles in total, and my feet hurt. Mission, however, accomplished. I'm off to JFK tomorrow morning and will spend most of the day there reading and trying to amuse myself; has to be done that way unfortunately as I can't take the risk of missing the plane. Time, I have plenty; money, not so much.

I also thought I'd reproduce the above view of the Columbia Xmas lights on College Walk. Photo "lovingly ripped off" ((C) Monty Python) from the CU website. Enjoy it, though, and merry Xmas to all my readers. Next time I post I will be in the Essex countryside putting my feet up.

No comments: