Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Movin' on up

Just getting on with things here, doing the reading and so forth that needs to be done. Though today started out rather ropily, on reflection I think it was probably the best day I've had since I got here. I got a call from my Dad at about 8.30 (I was already up), telling me that I'd gone overdrawn on my home account - a few phone calls established that I'd been overcharged on a magazine subscription (Men's Health, if you're interested), which was what that was about.

I then went and spilt a few drops of water on the keyboard of my laptop, which then started being very funny and not working properly. In somewhat of a panic, I took it to CUIT support, who scanned it for virii and the like, and then established that I'd left the Num Lock key on. As simple as that, but it cost me two hours. Still, rather than than a new keyboard or even worse, a new laptop, which I can't even come close to affording right now. Seems to be working fine now, luckily enough. Lesson learned. No liquids near the computer.

Had the Edo Lit seminar this afternoon...really enjoyed it. For the first time since I've gotten here, I felt like I belonged...I was able to play a part in discussions and didn't feel at all out of place.

Then got home to find I'd got a job. I've been hired by the Law library here at Columbia. They have a large Japanese collection, donated in the main by a former Supreme Court Judge of Japan, and they need someone to help with its running. That someone, even though I didn't think the interview yesterday had gone very well, is to be me. Only 6 hours a week, but at $13 (to rise) per hour, it'll keep me fed, and that's not to be underestimated. I'm particularly chuffed because the job description said they required someone of "native level reading ability in Japanese".

Celebrated at the GSAS mixer a couple of blocks from my apartment. Completely free booze, but sadly I was unable to take full advantage as I had to go home around 9:30 and finish my Classical Japanese homework. Oh well, perhaps tomorrow night...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well....you are a librarian.

The first librarian I have ever known actually, you must be very proud. Actually, a Japanese librarian is quite cool- well done.

You will be pleased to know poker nights are getting real big without you- lost 4000yen the other night, ouch.

Have a good one.