Thursday, September 08, 2005

First Week of Classes...

So, I went to Yankee Stadium on Tuesday to catch a ballgame. Not all of you know this, but I am actually something of a fan of the game of baseball, seeing in it a rather younger and less long-winded form of my main passion, cricket. I've been to see games in Japan and the USA before, but surely no self-proclaimed afficionado could miss a trip to Yankee Stadium. I duly went, and had a pretty good time; the fans were much more into it (and more spontaneous) than those I've seen elsewhere...and the Yankees lost, 4-3, which did bring a smile to my face.

In the days since then I've been "shopping", trying out a variety of the classes on offer to see which ones I'm going to take. I think I'm fairly sure now about my courseload, and it'll be Classical Japanese, History of Chinese Lit. to 900 A.D., Pre-Modern Japanese Lit, Modern Japanese Lit, and Japanese Bibliography, the last of which is a guide to the tools on offer in the field and which seems like it'll be very interesting. The proposition on the table at the moment is to develop a Japanese studies Wikipedia, which is intriguing to say the least...

Normally I'd have tomorrow off, but there's a visiting professor or two talking about Edo lit tomorrow morning from 10, and I'm required to be there. No rest for the wicked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why dont you go to a univ here if you want to study Japanese lit ?

Rob T said...

Good question. Variety of answers - take your pick from the following...

1) Already have - four months at Kansai Gakuin and a year at Hiroshima University.
2) Spent a total of three and a half years in Japan so far and wanted to try somewhere different.
3) The US, particularly Columbia, has excellent resources for East Asian studies - the C.V. Starr Library here is one of the best in the world, including collections in Japan.
4) I get to live in New York!
5) I wouldn't be averse to going back to Japan after I take my PhD and teaching at a university there...maybe Tohoku-Dai, just to go back to Sendai...

Unknown said...

and besides, as far as we can tell, in Japan he can't get laid. But in the US, the dude is a plaaaaaaaaaaaaayaaaaaaaa.

look out NY.