Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Well Met

The Metropolitan Museum of Art, better known as the Met, rocks. Not only do I get in free, it's also a wonderfully interesting museum with a mind-boggling collection just about everything. Seriously, you could spend several days going around the Met and never see it all. The highlight for me was the Temple of Dundur, which, despite sounding like something from Lord of the Rings, is a completely authentic Egyptian temple (literally - they shipped it across stone by stone from the Aswan valley, and it still has the graffiti of Napoleon's soldiers on it), in a stunning setting inside the Met. I forgot to take my camera though, dimwit that I am.

So I went there with my date, who for the time being shall remain nameless. It was a beautiful day, feeling much more like spring than winter, so we walked across the park, spent the afternoon strolling around the Met and discussing the various merits of the stuff on display, went for a coffee afterwards, had a cheeky snog, and went our separate ways. I'm having lunch with her on Thurs and she and I are both attending a party thrown by a mutual friend on Saturday, so...yeah. Things are looking alright, right now.

On Sunday, I popped downtown to meet Laura Mann, who was in town visiting. Another member of the Shiogama clan, as was, who loved Japan so much she went back there even after JET. I'm not sure quite if I should call her an old friend - she'll probably object to the "old" part - but nonetheless it was great to see her and act as tour guide; we took a walk up Broadway to Central Park, before I left her and her friends to do their own thing, as I had to head back to the library unfortunately.

Classes are keeping me busy, but not quite as insanely so as last semester. A bit more reasonable, this time round, thank God.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May you rot in hell for your puns sir!

Rob T said...

That seems a bit harsh. Would you punish the punn-ish? ;-)