Friday, January 20, 2006

Not so much fun

A quick post-library pint last night at West End, the bar across the street from Columbia, turned into a bit of an unintentional session. I didn't know that West End had a dance floor from 11 p.m. or so onwards, but naturally I went and shook my booty for a bit, which was quite fun. I left around 1 a.m., though I hear that various others were still going at 5 a.m., which takes some stamina. I had been intending to go to the gym this morning, but other matters demanded my attention.

We had another episode with the guy in the room next to me this morning at about 6:45 a.m., unfortunately, waking me and several other people on the floor. Not being able to get hold of the building superintendent, I went off to talk to the University Housing authority up on 119th. They seemed to be aware of the situation but not that there'd been another occurrence after the guy in question had been told to knock it off on Sunday. After a short talk, during which I pointed out that he was either unwilling, or more worryingly unable to control himself, they said they'd put the wheels in motion to get the guy kicked out.

I feel sorry for the man in question, I really do - as I mentioned, he's not a happy camper, but the situation can't be allowed to drift. He may be having a rough time of it, but that doesn't give him carte blanche to act like an asshole himself. After this morning, I have to question his stability, and while I personally just find the noise annoying and slightly unsettling, the girls on the floor are understandably really quite scared by him and almost afraid to leave their rooms. It's had the effect of creating an atmosphere of general unease and tension on the floor as a whole, which is hardly conducive to a relaxed living environment. Better for everyone that he leaves and gets some psychiatric help.

Didn't give me any pleasure, but needed to be done. Nobody else seemed willing to do it, so...

In other news, it's unseasonably warm in NYC right now, 16℃ today, which is definitely not the January weather I was told to expect. I hope it stays nice for my walk across Central Park to the Met tomorrow...I'll keep you posted.

No comments: