Tuesday, May 29, 2007

No words, again

I just learned today that one of my colleagues in the Law Library was shot and killed in what seems to have been an attempted robbery at a Chinese takeout five blocks from here. I knew the guy pretty well; he did Aikido, and was interested in all things Japanese, so he used to drop by the library for a chat with Yukino and myself on occasion. He used to bring his son in to work from time to time, too. He worked in the copy room and I saw him every time I got sent in to make some processing slips or something. It happened nearly three weeks ago, and since my supervisor was back in Japan these last two weeks I only just found out. Nobody at the library said anything, and it didn't seem to make any headlines.

The last time I saw him was when I ran into him at the Sakura matsuri in Brooklyn, shortly before he was murdered. Still can't believe this happened.

No comments: